Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume): Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher). In lieu of degree, four (4) years of directly related full time experience, or a combination of higher education and experience totaling four (4) full-time years may be considered. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Applications.
Preferred Qualifications: Academic Library experience. Customer serviceexperience. Experience with College or University student population
Brief Description of Duties: Under the direction of the Night/Weekend Manager, the User Services Supervisor will be part of a team of employees responsible for managing the library services, primarily on nights and weekends. The User Services Supervisor provides coverage at service desks in the University Libraries, checking in/out library material, answering calls, responding to requests for assistance and will be responsible for patron and staff safety, building security, and emergency response. Therefore, the selected applicant must have knowledge of access services as well as library policies and procedures with a full working knowledge of library systems: ILLiad, interlibrary loan management system, LMS and Blackboard. In addition, the selected applicant must be able to work with library personnel across campus libraries as well as be able to use library databases for processing interlibrary loan, resource sharing and reserves requests.
The selected candidate will have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, exercising strong organizational and time-management skills with an exceptional attention to detail. Essential for this role is the adeptness to work independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for providing service desk coverage to include circulation of library materials: issue, renew, and receive materials for all patrons; answer library user questions in person, over the phone and online, referring complex reference questions to the appropriate library personnel
- Assist with stacks maintenance, reserves and resource sharing materials (i.e.interlibrary loans), including retrieving items for processing, scanning and uploading material for delivery, processing items in the (LMS), shelf reading and shifting.
- Coordinate and collaborate with personnel throughout Access & User Services (AUS) and in other library departments to provide unified and seamless services to patrons. Assist with special projects related to access services.
- Assist in responding to library maintenance issues and escalating appropriately. Communicate through appropriate channels about facilities, online systems, and patron issues.
- Assist in overseeing library space operations. Work closely with Evening/Weekend Manager to enforce policies, supervise student employees assigned to the location, and ensure safe functioning of the library spaces.
- Supervise and directs student employees’ work during shifts.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and department mission. Maintain overall neatness and aesthetic appearance of the library locations, provide quality customer service to patrons. Participate, as appropriate, in internal and external professional activities, such as a committee member, meeting or conference presenter, staying abreast of emerging developments within the field, improving processes to better serve our students, staff, faculty and the campus as a whole.
Special Notes: This is a part time appointment (.5 FTE).FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Evening and weekend work will be required at times.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Instructional Support Associate
Job Field : Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location : US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Unniversity Libraries-Stony Brook University
Schedule : Part-time
Shift : Variable Shift Hours: Schedule will vary, but will require afternoon/evenings and weekend hours.
Pass Days: Variable
Posting Start Date : Apr 11, 2019
Posting End Date : May 11, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience within the range of $41,815-$50,000 (will be prorated to reflect the .50 FTE) Salary Grade: SL2
Appointment Type: Temporary