Apply Here Click onto “Current Employees” (you will need a SBU Net ID & Password to apply)
Senior Staff Assistant for Library Procurement – 1900316
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher). Three (3) years of full-time procurement experience to include experience with accounts payable and/or account receivable. Highly proficient, professional experience in word processing, spreadsheet management, electronic messaging and internet applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, etc…).
Budget experience to include hands-on comprehensive financial record keeping and expense reconciliation reporting. Working knowledge of SUNY accounting and procurement systems. Working knowledge of WolfMart. Working knowledge of SUNY State, Research Foundation (RF), and/or Stony Brook Foundation (SBF) budget, accounting and/or purchasing policies & procedures.
Brief Description of Duties:
Reporting directly to the Director for Library Finance and Administration, this position will administer and coordinate all of the highly complex, voluminous procurement transactions for the various services available in Stony Brook University Libraries ($9 million). Therefore, the selected candidate must have experience analyzing and reconciling various databases as well as researching and resolving budget and/or purchasing issues.
The successful incumbent will have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, exercising strong organizational and time-management skills with an exceptional attention to detail. Essential for this role is the adeptness to work independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Procurement: Under strict adherence to State, SUNY, OSC and other agency audit and expenditure guidelines/requirements, responsible for the high volume of acquisitions purchase requisitions of products, subscription and services for the University Libraries. Develop, coordinate and maintain records of all purchase orders to ensure productive use of funds. Conduct usage analyses and prepare budgetary assessments. Monitor expenditures and provide financial activity reports on all accounts. Assist with grant financial reports. Coordinate the annual fiscal year-end procedure of processing invoices for payment and disencumbering purchase orders. Review complex contracts, agreements, purchase orders, and change orders for Library required/related services. Report on the compliance of various purchasing regulations. Liaise with appropriate staff on all financial matters, resolving promptly any issues.
- Contracts: Perform administrative support work for contractual and bidding transactions as necessary. Investigate into state contracts that exceed state-determined spending thresholds for competing bids and sole-source justifications.
- Budget: Under the direction of the Director for Library Finance and Administration, assist in planning and preparing the budget. Re-budget expenditures and reassign funds as necessary. Develop procurement process improvements in an effort to streamline activities related to the Library budget and procurement.
- Liaison: Liaise with Procurement, other campus, SUNY and federal departments at an advanced level for advisory, regulatory, and policy review/guidelines to ensure compliance. Educate and assist faculty, staff and students in navigating University regulations and policies in areas related to procurement.
- Supervision: Supervise clerical staff. Evaluates, coaches, and directs to ensure work is completed in timely and accurate fashion.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission. Service as back-up for Library Administration duties as needed.
This is a full-time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Library-Stony Brook University
Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Feb 25, 2019
Posting End Date: Mar 11, 2019, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience within the range of $55,000-$65,000
Salary Grade: SL3
Appointment Type: Term